The Devil’s Shoehorn: A case study of EAD to ArchivesSpace migration at a large university
A case study of work done migrating the Harvard Library's finding aids from EAD into ArchivesSpace. Co-authored with Kate Bowers for the Code4Lib Journal, Issue 35. ISSN 1940-5758, accessible here.
This is a plugin for the Omeka digital library software. It extends Omeka to provide an alphabetical subject browse, as well as making subjects in items clickable. It's not terribly sophisticated - right now it works by producing URLs for Omeka's built-in search. Future plans are primarily centered on generalizing the plugin to allow browses to be created for any element.
XML To Google Maps Page
Here you can try it out on my computer. Here is the source, all zipped up, along with my log for the project. Note: Seriously, you will have to get your own GMaps API key in order to put this on your own server.
These are programs to record combat initiatives for tabletop roleplaying games. They are adaptable to any game with a numerical initiative system that goes from high to low. Which is all of them I can think of off the top of my head, except Paranoia. There are two versions:
- graphinit.perl - Catchy names are not my forte ;-) This is done in Perl/Tk, and supports both initiative tracking and a notes pane for writing down anything relevant to the character whose initiative it is. Done mostly as a learning project for Perl/Tk, and for my GM at the time. I don't know if she still uses it, but I do on a bi-weekly basis.
- Joe's Initiative Recorder - This one is written in C++, and was the first one I did. I actually wrote this for XP, if you'll believe it. Uses a modified version of a linked list that I wrote for a Data Structures class in undergrad. Ridiculously poor object encapsulation between the two classes, but then, really, if I'd not been on a deadline and thus cadging stuff that I'd already done, I'd have folded them into one class. Compiles and runs in Linux, OSX, current versions of Windows, and, most importantly (For Joe, that is) in Windows 95.
This is a program to take a stock, unmodified CueCat, convert its (weakly and foolishly) encrypted contents to plaintext, and dump that plaintext to a file (if it should happen to be an ISBN). Thus, a free and completely useless geegaw I got at Radioshack many, many years ago becomes a fully functional bar code scanner. Huzzah. Program is written in Perl, located here. The decryption algorithm and code are from this public domain code.
The Absolute at Large by Karel Čapek
A digital edition of The Absolute at Large, a book by reknowned Czech author Karel Čapek. The text is that of the first US edition, which is out of copyright. I originally scanned the book and created an XHTML version of this as a student at New College of Florida, and produced the updated versions here during June 2011.
At this point, the book is roughly at the state of an Advance Reader Copy. Most of the serious typos and mis-formattings are ironed out, but it still needs proofreading. If you find an error, please contact me and I'll correct it as soon as possible - if reading on the Kindle, location numbers will be useful - otherwise, just tell me what chapter the error is in, and provide a few lines of context.
- ePub - Sony Reader, various iDevices, Nook, etc.
- ePub (ASCII) - Non-unicode conformant Android devices
- Mobipocket - Amazon Kindle
The Beggar's Opera by John Gay
A hypertextual, multimedia edition of the 1728 ballad opera. This play is the lineal ancestor of the modern musical in English, and is a very good play in its own right. Based on a previous hypertext version by Risa Bear of Renascence Editions, but with significant corrections and completely updated formatting. This was created as my Senior Project (Thesis) for New College of Florida. The project is executed primarily in XHTML and CSS, with a comments page executed in PHP (Although it also works as HTML). It contains video excerpts, audio from the play, and pictures of the score and several pages. It is located here.